I knew almost right away that I wanted to do the potion idea. Too much time spent playing video games. It was kind of a relief because it usually takes me FOREVER to come up with an idea. So from there I did a lot of thinking, and sketched out what I thought would be a great Mana Plant.
(Plant sketch goes here)
Great place to start out at. Once I got the image traced into paths I started playing with colors and backgrounds.
This is one of my original designs... Not the first (I think that is on my own computer...) The font I used here was inspired by WoW, it was a look-alike I found awhile ago when I made a banner for my Facebook page. After one of the crits I had opened up the flower more to show more of the bottle in the petals.
This one I experimented with some gradients and fallen petals. I hated the fallen petals, so I quickly got rid of that idea. The gradients dont look too bad, but it wasnt really the style I was looking for.
Here is some background experimentation. From here I added a pattern in the background.
The swirl pattern gave me a feeling of magic and power and turbulence and whatnot. I thought it was a very good feeling for magic users.
The drop shadow with the hat in the background came with the addition of the pattern to give it separation from the farther back elements.
After that I had found a new font and put it all together and voila, it was done. On the computer anyway.
There was overflow of the pattern and since Illustrator doesn't have a crop feature like photoshop, I just let it go since it wouldn't print out anyway.
After that I had a great idea for the poison plant so I sketched it out and scanned it in.
Vines surrounding the poison vial, making it hard to get it out. Originally I wanted to put thorns on it too, but that just wasn't in the cards. Haha.
Here it is traced. I wanted a dark purple to contrast with the (what was supposed to be) bright green.
So finished products:
Packet front and back
All three seed packet fronts mounted. (Will probably scan this so its better at some point.)









No comments:
Post a Comment